Connecting with nature and sharing discoveries is a great way to support each other during challenging times. The Great Barrington Land Conservancy (GBLC) invites you to participate as a family or individual in this fun nature-focused activity at home.
During the month of April, GBLC will hold a Tree Seed Photo Challenge! Each week we will post a photo of a seed and ask you to identify it. When you submit your guess- even if it's right or wrong!- you will be entered into a raffle prize drawing and the winners will be randomly chosen on Arbor Day.
River Walk intern Olivia Conforti learning to identify native trees during the summer of 2019.
How Does it Work?
- On Wednesday the 1st, Monday the 6th, Monday the 13th, and Monday the 20th there will be a new photo posted here on our website and on our social media accounts on Facebook and Instagram asking you to identify the seeds.
- Submit your guess to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the best way for us to reach you (email, phone number, etc.). We will add your name into the raffle prize drawing.
- You can submit only one guess per week.
- Children and adults are encouraged to enter! Please let us know when children are participating so we can enter each child into the kid’s draw prize.
- Let's learn together! On Saturdays the seed and its parent tree will be posted on our website and on our social media accounts. With each new seed challenge we will also share at-home activities for the whole family to enjoy.
- On Arbor Day (Friday, April 24th) we will randomly select the winners. Winners will be contacted with information on how to receive their prizes.
What are the Prizes?
- 2 copies of The Sibley Guide to Trees by David Allen Sibley (soft cover) for 2 Adult Winners, generously provided by The Bookloft
- 8 copies of Peterson First Guide to Trees Book by George A. Petrides (soft cover) for 8 Kid Winners, generously provided by The Bookloft
- 30 Hemlock seedlings, generously provided by Ward's Nursery
- 10 copies of Sibley’s Common Trees of Trails & Forests of the Northeast & Upper Midwest by David Sibley (folding guide), generously provided by Ward's Nursery
A Big Thank You To Our Sponsors: